SUST Repository

Immunohistochemical Detection of Epithelial Membrane Antigen in Prostate Tumors among Sudanese Patients

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Hassan, Mohamed Mohieldin Khalil
dc.contributor.author Supervisor, - Abu Elgasim Abass Awad Elkareem
dc.date.accessioned 2017-12-07T11:47:03Z
dc.date.available 2017-12-07T11:47:03Z
dc.date.issued 2017-11-08
dc.identifier.citation Hassan, Mohamed Mohieldin Khalil.Immunohistochemical Detection of Epithelial Membrane Antigen in Prostate Tumors among Sudanese Patients\Mohamed Mohieldin Khalil Hassan;Abu Elgasim Abass Awad Elkareem.-Khartoum:Sudan University of Science & Technology,Medical Laboratory Science,2017.-51p.:ill.;28cm.-M.Sc. en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://repository.sustech.edu/handle/123456789/19303
dc.description Thesis en_US
dc.description.abstract This is an analytical retrospective case control hospital based study conducted in Omdurman hospital during the period from October 2016 to February 2017. The study aimed to detect EMA expression in prostate tumors using immunohistochemistry. Forty paraffin embedded blocks previously diagnosed as prostate tumors were collected. Samples included 30(75%) malignant tumors (Adenocarcinomas) and 10 (25%) benign tumors samples. The patient's age ranged between 50 and 90 years with a mean age of 69 years, most patients were younger than 60 years representing 30 (75%) and the remaining 10 (25%) were elder than 60 years. One section of 4 micrometer thickness was cut from each paraffin block by rotary microtome and stained by immunohistochemical method (avidin- biotin technique) for detection of EMA. Data collected from patients files and results obtained were analyzed using SPSS computer program. Immunohistochemical expression of EMA was revealed positive expression in 21/30 samples and negative results in 9/30 samples in malignant tumors, while most of the benign tumors (8/10) showed negative results and 2/10 showed positive expression, with significant statistical association between EMA cytoplasmic expression and histopathological diagnosis of prostate tumors (P. value =0.017). Positive EMA cytoplasmic expression was found to be common among poorly differentiated cancers which represent 17 (81%) cases and less common in well and moderately differentiated cancers with frequencies of 1 (4.5%) case and 3 (14.5%) cases respectively. Moderately and poorly differentiated cancers showed negative expression with frequencies of 6 (66.6%) and 3 (33.4%) cases respectively, while no expression was found in well differentiated cancers, hence, there was a significant statistical relation between EMA cytoplasmic expression and cancer grade ( P. value =0.015). This study concludes that EMA cytoplasmic expression is help in differentiation between benign and malignant prostate tumors and also associated with cancer grade. en_US
dc.description.sponsorship Sudan University of Science and Technology en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher Sudan University of Science & Technology en_US
dc.subject Epithelial Membrane en_US
dc.subject Prostate Tumors en_US
dc.title Immunohistochemical Detection of Epithelial Membrane Antigen in Prostate Tumors among Sudanese Patients en_US
dc.title.alternative الكشف النسيجى الكيميائى المناعى عن المستضد الغشائى الطلائى لدى المرضى السودانيين المصابين بأورام البروستاتا en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Share

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account